Ixworth

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 12 Jun 2007, 09:18

thinking about it the problems may have come in the last three years or so due to the popularity and overbreeding of particular flocks 'flooding the market' so to speak?

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 12 Jun 2007, 13:46

SORRY - my bad, you're right, no wyandotte! :oops: forgive me, i have a cold and my head is full of jam....or feels like it anyway! :lol:

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 12 Jun 2007, 22:06

are you sure thats jam

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 12 Jun 2007, 23:28

well i could've said snot...but i didnt want to gross everyone out so i picked something similar! :lol:

CP

Post by CP » 13 Jun 2007, 00:51

:lol: :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

tuzo2k

Ixworth - Roslin Institue Test

Post by tuzo2k » 13 Jun 2007, 15:52

Rare Breed Survival Trust - info on Roslin Institute test for Ixworths. Also other endangered breeds.

www.rbst.org.uk/watch-list/poultry/ixworth.php#top

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 14 Jun 2007, 11:24

dont want tea and scones at yours heeeeheeee

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 14 Jun 2007, 12:04

not at the moment no!!!! It's a really lingering cold - ive had it a week now! :shock:

Ottwell

Post by Ottwell » 02 Oct 2007, 16:19

Hi All,

Can anyone help some newbies?

We have 7 Ixworth's who are 24 weeks old (6 hens + one cockerel). We have had them since they were 20 weeks but we have not had any eggs from them as yet.

We have them on 50/50 Layers and Mixed Mashed Corn with plenty of oyster shell/grit.

Surely they must be at POL by now, should we be expecting them to lay shortly?

Cheers

Ottwell (Omlette'less)

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 03 Oct 2007, 22:13

They shouldn't be too off laying now but the main problem would be lack of daylight at this ime of year. Unless you are able to provide artificial light I doubt very much if they will be inclined to produce the goods.

bronskibeat
Hen
Hen

Post by bronskibeat » 04 Oct 2007, 09:12

Hi Ottwell,

Please can you tell me where you got yours from? It didnt happen to be Garden poultry (?) guy by any chance was it?

Cheers, bronskibeat

Ottwell

Post by Ottwell » 04 Oct 2007, 09:58

Bronski

No defo not Garden Poultry – although I know they do breed Ixworth’s – if they are the ones just outside Kingsley by Gibson’s?

I have been sworn to secrecy by the breeder we got them off as we jumped a very long queue to get the birds, they are local but won't sell to our area.

Anyway why do you ask? Is there a problem with Garden Poultry that I should know about?

I was going to get some Red Rockets off them! :?

bronskibeat
Hen
Hen

Post by bronskibeat » 04 Oct 2007, 10:25

Ottwell,

Good heavens no!!!! (sees law suit pending :shock:) Garden Poultry are excellent, we buy all our chickens there and they are always so helpful. The chickens are very high quality and we have always been delighted with them. Highly recommended!! I am waiting to get some Blue Comets from him, mum buys white leghorns pol every year there and also Bossa Novas ( :lol: :lol: , I know, Bovan Neras). No, just wondered as you are local to me and liked the look of the Ixworths and know that Garden do them..... so put 2 and 2 together and have come up with 5 :oops: :roll: Just nice to get first hand recommendation on a new breed :D
Good luck with your poultry enterprise!!

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 09 Jan 2008, 13:34

Yippee--our lone Ixworth hen has started to lay as of last saturday.

Ottwell

Post by Ottwell » 13 Mar 2008, 13:06

Hi All,

We have been getting some penny sized knobbly clusters on some of eggs over the last couple of weeks.

These deformities are normally around the pointy end of the shell.

We think they are being laid by a couple of pullets that have just come into lay.

I have some good pics if you would like me to email them to you.

We have 3 other older hens and have no probs with them.

All the chooks are all being fed on a mix of flake and layers, with fresh veg and plenty of Oyster Shell etc.

They seem to be healthy and happy.

Can anyone help?

I have put this on one of the other pages as well.

Cheers

Ottwell
[footnote][/footnote]