Laying on floor - and hole in eggs

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

boaters
Chick
Chick

Laying on floor - and hole in eggs

Post by boaters » 19 Feb 2018, 09:57

Hi - one of my newbies is laying on the floor of the coop and all her eggs have a small hole in the top. Not sure if it's a peck hole or from a claw. This seems to be consistent (3 times in the last 3 days and always in the same place). All the others are laying in the nesting box.
I put a piece of micropore tape over the hole and use the eggs pretty quickly, but I'd rather not follow that route.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

CP

Re: Laying on floor - and hole in eggs

Post by CP » 19 Feb 2018, 13:40

Is the nest box as dark as possible & have you only one box?

As the others (how many?) are using it maybe the box is occupied when she wants to lay. You could try adding another if there's room. A cardboard box will do as a temporary one.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 19 Feb 2018, 13:50

The hole in the egg may be because she is young and the shell she is producing hasn't quite got going. Give her a couple of weeks and see if it improves, if not, there are products out there that purport to strengthen shells.

boaters
Chick
Chick

Post by boaters » 19 Feb 2018, 20:01

Thanks to both - in answer to CP... the nesting area is about 3ft long, with a divider down the middle. 5 chooks altogether. Your idea sounds quite feasible, and there's room for a cat litter tray in the coop so I'll give that a try. And KateD, I'll try the waiting game! They're only 23 weeks, so maybe that's a possibility too. Many thanks.

Kleiner

Post by Kleiner » 14 Mar 2018, 09:59

This is quite a peculiar issue. I've not heard of this before. Did things improve, Boaters? I'm very curious to know.