Houdan hen

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Meghen
Chick
Chick

Houdan hen

Post by Meghen » 12 Aug 2018, 17:58

This is Presley, a Houdan hen that was given to me recently. She's still a bit of an outcast but is not being bullied as much as she was at first. I think she's only about 3 months old as she is very light and small, and is not laying - but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Meghen
Chick
Chick

Re: Houdan hen

Post by Meghen » 12 Aug 2018, 18:03

I was wondering if I should force her to sleep with the other hens now, in the Eglu, and if it would help her to integrate. I kept her isolated for a couple of days in this small henhouse, but now she mixes with the others during the day. But she still returns here at night to sleep on her own.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 12 Aug 2018, 18:59

If she's happy on her own at night and not being bullied but integrating during the day I would let her choose her own time of moving into the "big" chickens' house - if she ever wants to.

Meghen
Chick
Chick

Post by Meghen » 12 Aug 2018, 21:04

Thanks for your input, Kate! I would rather she slept with the others, as it would make less work for me, but I will give her some more time.